(TELC logo ca 1990-2017)
(TELC logo from 2018)
See also Paul Black’s The history of the Top End Linguistic Circle.
Records of the Top End Linguistic Circle
Records of meetings are fragmentary before 1989 and incomplete until 1995, after which there are fairly full records of most meetings. I would be grateful to anyone who can supply further information. The following documents cover what is known about the meetings up till 2017; they are in Microsoft Word (.docx) format:
- Meetings 1979-1989, as far as they are known.
- Meetings 1990-1994
- Meetings 1995-1999
- Meetings 2000-2004
- Meetings 2005-2009
- Meetings 2010-2014
- Meetings in 2016 and 2017
There is also an index of presenters at those meetings, as far as they are known.
From 1989 to 1991 TELC produced three newsletters called TELC Talk. These are full of information about linguistic happenings of that time, and they also report the TELC meetings held in 1989 and 1990. They are in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- TELC Talk no. 89/1 of August 1989.
- TELC Talk no. 90/1 of October 1990.
- TELC Talk no. 91/1 of April 1991. This was published within the NT Bilingual Education Newsletter, issue no. 91-2 of 1991, and the cover and table of contents of that newsletter is included. It is not clear whether the ‘Bilingual Classifieds Advertisements’ [sic] on pages 73-82 are actually part of TELC Talk (as the table of contents of the issue may suggest) or part of the NT Bilingual Education Newsletter as a whole.
From 1995 to 2001 TELC had a web site that was kindly hosted by Northern Territory University. It contained no information that has not been incorporated into the present site, but in any case the last version of the earlier pages can be reached through the following link.
The following are the TELC distribution lists for 1996 and 2000, again in Microsoft Word (.docx) format:
On 23 June 1999 TELC issued this press release.
There are some photos from the TELC meeting of 20 September 2006.
Finally, there is a Powerpoint summary of the history that was used at the TELC meeting of 6 November 2014.
Last modified 8th March 2023